Wednesday, October 9, 2013

From the donor's heart....by Patty Martin

Well, today is the day that Parker gets admitted into CHOP (I don't admit until tomorrow morning).  Bittersweet day for all of us.  Since last Thursday, I've spent most of the day everyday with him. Gotten to really know him & his little ways and signs to let us know what he's feeling and thinking.  He's just a really great big personality in a little body. He's made us all laugh and forget about what's to come tomorrow.  He's kept us all grounded and very entertained. Now from my side...I realized from the beginning how "big" what I'm doing is, however it wasn't until this week that I fully understood exactly how much this would impact Parker, Kristen, and Jason's daily life.  I have been truly humbled by this weeks experiences. I have had more love and support than I could ever ask for. Now, I don't know what it's like for other donors, but for me, it's been an emotional roller coaster!  Not once have I doubted my decision to give this gift, but I never realized how much it would affect me as a person.  I don't know if it's because he's not just some random kid,  he's family, or if every donor feels this way. I have cried more these last few weeks than I think I have in my entire life!  But none of those tears were of regret or doubt. It's just been very happy and emotional. I've gotten messages from some of my oldest and dearest friends, my dad,  and so many strangers calling me a "hero" that I've lost count.  I don't feel like a hero, I just feel like someone doing what God put me here to do.  This is my way of giving life to a child.  I will forever have a connection with Parker, and I've become closer to Jason and Kristen this last week than I could have imagined.  This entire experience has brought our family closer together in so many ways.

1 comment:

  1. Patty,
    You don't know me, but I know your parents and whether you choose to see yourself that way or not, you ARE a hero! You so selflessly did for Parker what most people couldn't imagine doing for someone else. You not only gave from your heart, you LITERALLY gave him a part of you so that his life would be improved. It takes a hero to put themselves on the line to save someone else and that's what you did.

    ReplyDelete