Sunday, February 26, 2012

SIX months old...

Today is a bittersweet day for us. Parker is 6 months old today! It's a whirlwind of emotions all over again. I mean, doesn't the clock have a pause button? It seems like just yesterday I was walking across a very long corridor, in a busy hospital, just to sit at his bedside and hold his hand. Today, however, we have been up since 6 o'clock and managed to watch "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and "Jake and the Neverland Pirates". We have eaten three bottles, taken a nap, played in the Bumbo, and finished tummy time. All before lunch! It's hard for me to think of the time when I believed the doctors, when they said that he wouldn't live. The time where I had given up hope and instructed my husband to take down the nursery. What was I thinking? Those doctors had no clue that my son had other plans for life. He has far surpassed any of their expectations. He is happy, healthy (other than his dialysis), and determined! When I say healthy, I mean that he is not a child stricken common illnesses like cold, flu, and RSV. He hasn't had problems with colic, reflux, or ear infections like most babies. He has his kidney problems, and those are big, but we are lucky that he does not have the "normal baby" issues on top of that.

So far, he has met most of his milestones. He may not be rolling over or sitting up on his own yet, but I have to remind myself that, not only was he a preemie, but he is a child who has had two major abdominal surgeries. I can tell you, though, that he is definitely not far behind. I watch him grow and learn new things each and every day, and every time I think to myself, "They said he wouldn't do that." I am a very proud momma! This life has become our "normal". It is definitely difficult and overwhelming at times, but it is also rewarding and humbling, too.






No comments:

Post a Comment