Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A very long day...

My day started bright and early this morning. My first appointment was with my OBGYN, Dr. Sanders, and went well overall. He answered a few more of our questions and concerns, the heart rate was 140, and he did a non-stress test on Parker. Surprisingly, the doctor came in afterwards and said it was the best results from an NST he had seen all morning and that Parker passed with flying colors. So far, so good.

Immediately after that appointment we took off to Baton Rouge, and after an hour and a half drive, we arrived at Woman's Hospital. Dr. Diket, our second Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor, did another high-resolution ultrasound and told us the same facts that we had already heard from Dr. Robichaux. Parker's kidneys are enlarged and are not functioning. This is the part of the story, however, where Dr. Diket shows a more positive outlook than our previous experience. He went on to say that this is a secondary problem that can be fixed with dialysis and a transplant. Parker's lungs, however, should be our first concern. With all of modern technology, though, there is still no way to tell how developed his lungs are and if they will be able to function on their own until he is delivered. Dr. Diket gave us hope by saying that if Parker had fluid around him at the crucial time for lung development (20-24 weeks) that he had a good chance of having his lungs developed enough. One major change from two weeks ago was that now I have NO fluid. Yes, I lost all of my fluid that fast. Dr. Diket also approved the steroid shots that I have been pushing for. He agreed that there is a large chance that the shots will not help, but that they also will not hurt anything. Well, my theory is that if they will not hurt anything.. then I will take them and the very slight chance that they may help. So tomorrow at 11 a.m. I will be at Dr. Sanders' office receiving my first round of steroids. I believe the plan is to continue them once a week until 34 weeks.

So for now we will have to wait and watch until delivery. He also said that we should start thinking about our options for delivery. Our hospital does not have the capability to perform dialysis for Parker and it is a 55 minute transport to Children's, should he need to be moved. Dr. Robichaux, who delivers at Ochsner, has taken over cases like this before. Ochsner has dialysis capabilities and is only a 10 minute transport to Children's in case Parker needs to be moved. So when we meet with the NICU team at Terrebonne General on Friday we will present them will all of these questions (and many more) and then make a decision.

On a final note, those of you who have encountered me in the last few days (whether on the phone or in person) excuse me if I was short. I have had a long couple of days, am overwhelmed, and am tired. I'm thinking the phone may be shut off for a little while just so I can get some rest and alone time.

Thanks to everyone for the continued support and prayers. We still have a long road ahead of us and will continue to need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment